• Slide title

    Write your caption here

  • Slide title

    Write your caption here


Legal advice for weddings in Turkey

Having a wedding overseas requires legal paperwork and other registrations. At Platinum Weddings Turkey, we are happy to guide you through the legal requirements required for weddings in Turkey, binding under the UK and Irish law. 

Requirements of marriage in Turkey for British Nationals

Since the 1st March 2014 Turkish Marriage offices have accepted an Affidavit/Affirmation of Marital Status sworn before a UK Public Notary or British Embassy/consulate in Turkey depending on the couple’s residency status.
The British Embassy/Consulates in Turkey no longer issue Certificate of Non Impediments in Turkish.

If you are resident in the UK

Couples are required to complete the new bilingual Affidavit/Affirmation form and their oath/affirmation should be administered by a local Public Notary in the UK and legalised by Foreign Commonwealth Office Legalisation Department before travelling to Turkey.
Platinum weddings Turkey planners will then assist in submitting this document, along with others,  to the local marriage office, where both the couple must attend also in person, in the town where they are going to get married.

What you need to do

Make an appointment with a UK notary or commissioner of oaths to swear an affidavit - a written statement that is used to formally declare that you’re free to marry.
You’ll need to complete an ‘Affidavit for marriage’ form that will be used for your affidavit. Take the completed form with you to your appointment. Download ’Affidavit for Marriage’ (PDF, 446KB)

You’ll need to get your affidavit ‘legalised’ (certified as genuine) before you travel to Turkey.
If you’ve been divorced or widowed, you’ll need to provide:

• Evidence of nationality or residence where your divorce took place if it was outside the UK. You’ll need to get it translated if it’s      not in English
• Evidence if you’ve changed your name by deed poll

Your partner will need to get an affirmation as well

If you are resident in Turkey

Couples will be required to complete the bilingual Affidavit/Affirmation form and a Platinum Weddings Turkey planner will assist in booking an appointment at the British Embassy Ankara or consulates in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya for administering their oath/affirmation. The document must be legalised by the Turkish Authorities, either by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ankara or the Governor in Istanbul, Izmir, or Antalya. Once the document is legalised it should be submitted to the local Marriage Office in the town where they are going to get married.

What legal papers do I need to take with me?

  • Passports with at least 6 months' validity left on them.
  • Full birth certificates. 
  • Affidavit stating you are free to marry.
  • Six recent colour photos of the bride and groom.
  • If you have been divorced then the final divorce papers must be shown. 
  • If you are widowed then the death certificate of your previous spouse must be shown.
Please note: a divorced woman may have to wait 300 days after her divorce before she can remarry.
All documents should be legalised with an apostle, translated by an approved translator and notarised.

For all foreign nationals please contact Platinum Weddings Turkey and there wedding planners will contact you with your requirements and will help you all the way to ensure all documentation is current and correct.

legally married couple
For more information on wedding overseas in compliance with the law, get in touch with us at Platinum Weddings Turkey on 07934 176 435
Share by: